Advertisement

Cottage Grove firefighter saves family from apartment fire

(CGFD)
Published: Jun. 19, 2022 at 11:44 AM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

COTTAGE GROVE, Wis. (WMTV) - If it weren’t for the quick actions of a Cottage Grove firefighter, the fire damage to an apartment complex in the Village of Cottage Grove could’ve been much worse.

At approximately 5:28 p.m. on Friday, the Cottage Grove Fire Department was dispatched for a structure fire call to an apartment complex on Limestone Pass. On the way, crews were updated that the fire was related to cooking on a stove. There was smoke in the building, and at least one person had sustained injuries.

However, before crews arrived, a CGFD member who is a resident of the building and lived near the unit was able to make entry into the apartment. They were able to check on the victims, determine the fire was contained to the stove and extinguish the fire via a fire extinguisher.

CGFD member who saved family from a fire in their apartment complex.
CGFD member who saved family from a fire in their apartment complex.(CGFD)

Upon the fire department’s arrival, they were able to confirm there was no additional fire. The department also checked for additional hazards, ventilated the building and reset the alarm system.

One adult of the residence was treated for burn injuries, and two children were looked at for smoke inhalation.

The cause of the fire was determined to be related to unattended and unsupervised cooking on a stovetop. The fire damage is approximately $1,000.

Copyright 2022 WMTV. All rights reserved.