Home expected to be a total loss after fire near Oregon
RUTLAND, Wis. (WMTV) - An home near Oregon is expected to be a total loss after a fire Wednesday afternoon.
Dane County dispatchers confirmed the fire was happening at a home off of Oak Hill Road, in Rutland. Crews from three counties responded to the scene around 3:50 p.m. Wednesday. A heavy plume of smoke could be seen coming from the fire just after 5 p.m.
The Oregon Fire Department said that a family of three lives in the home and there was only one person home at the time.
Firefighters said they believe the fire started by someone cleaning out the chimney, which sparked the fire.
The fire department believes that the home is expected to be a total loss after the blaze. Oregon Fire and EMS District Fire Chief Glenn Linzmeier said they were able to gather many of the family’s belongings. Linzmeier described the efforts crews took to put out the flames.
“Crews got here and the initial companies pulled some large diameter lines, did some suppression,” Linzmeier said. “Trying to knock down what we could and all that kind of stuff. Setting up the rural movement back to the road, bringing the water in accordingly.”
One person was sent to the hospital after the fire, officials stated.
By 8:15 p.m., crews said the fire was under control, but said first responders would remain on scene.
A spokesperson for the American Red Cross said the agency is assisting the family.
Click here to download the NBC15 News app or our NBC15 First Alert weather app.
Copyright 2023 WMTV. All rights reserved.