Microwave causes fire in Janesville
JANESVILLE, Wis. (WMTV) - A fire that started in a microwave ended up causing an estimated $25,000 in damage at a Janesville home, the fire department reported Friday.
When Janesville Fire and Police Departments arrived at the scene around 1:10 p.m. Friday to the 400 block of N. Chatham Street, residents told them everyone had evacuated the building and the fire was mostly out. Firefighters saw smoke showing from the back of the two-story building.
JFD extinguished the fire completely in the kitchen and ventilated the building so the fire would not travel throughout the apartment units.
The residents of the apartment were not injured. The department said the fire started unintentionally, as it started in the microwave while it was heating up food.
The fire department estimated the fire caused $20,000 in property damage and $5,000 in content damage.
Click here to download the NBC15 News app or our NBC15 First Alert weather app.
Copyright 2023 WMTV. All rights reserved.