Struggling artist in Dane County? Here's how you can get grant money

This March 23, 2020 photo shows Doug and Telisha Williams, married musicians who perform...
This March 23, 2020 photo shows Doug and Telisha Williams, married musicians who perform together as the Wild Ponies, performing during a Facebook live concert from their home in Nashville, Tenn., as their dog Hazel Dickens lounges nearby. The couple became proud homeowners of a fixer upper in March. But in a matter of days, up to 85% of their income was wiped out due to the coronavirus pandemic. So now, like many other independent musicians, they've turned to social media and the Internet to make up their lost wages. (Laura Schneider via AP)(NBC15)
Published: Apr. 17, 2020 at 2:52 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

Dane County is launching a new program to help support local artists struggling with financial insecurity amid the coronavirus pandemic.

According to a release Friday, the county will administer the newly launched 'Dane Arts Need Grant' program, or 'DANG!' This comes a day after Gov. Tony Evers

, which closes all non-essential businesses like the clubs, venues and galleries that support artists.

The program will provide $15,000 to working artists in the county, including musicians, dancers, actors/producers, poets/writers, visual artists, performers and any individual working artist.

Dane County says artists who get grant money can use it to develop online presences to promote their art, as well as use the money to launch a live feed to showcase their music, theater, dance, performance art, history and/or multidisciplinary work. Artists can also use the grant money to buy supplies and use it to further develop their skills.

According to the county, applicants must be a working artist with at least two years of activity. A maximum of $250 will be allocated per applicant. Grants will continue to be awarded until funding runs out.

Those interested in donating to 'DANG!' may contact Dane Arts Director Mark Fraire at or at (608) 266-5915.