"I did punch that girl," Langdon St. attacker charged with 5 felonies

Jerome Winslow
Jerome Winslow(NBC15)
Published: Feb. 20, 2019 at 3:26 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

A judge has set a $50,000 cash bond for a man accused of attacking a UW-Madison student on Feb. 3.

According to online court records, 22-year-old Jerome Winslow appeared in a Dane County courtroom on Wednesday afternoon. Winslow has been charged with five felonies which include two counts of 1st degree reckless endangering safety, substantial battery, false imprisonment, and attempted 2nd degree sexual assault/use of force.

A witness told police she saw someone dragging the UW student toward Lake Mendota around 3:30 a.m. She told people nearby about what she saw, and those people went down to the lake and found the victim.

Chief Koval of the Madison Police Department said the 19-year-old woman’s injuries were significant. She was taken to a local hospital with serious injuries to her face. She is expected to survive.

According to court documents, Winslow followed another woman down Langdon St. before attacking the victim. In the document, investigators say a camera at the corner of Landgon St. and Carroll St. shows Winslow quickly approaching the victim from behind at around 3:07 a.m. and appeared to not have verbal contact with her. Twenty seconds later, another camera shows a man, who police identify as Winslow, dragging the victim away from the sidewalk.

According to court documents, around 3:39 a.m. Winslow entered the Phi Delta Theta fraternity house through the front door. Cameras inside the building captured him walking upstairs before members of the fraternity walk him back downstairs and talk to him in the front area before he walks out the front door.

Through surveillance video taken the night of the attack, investigators identified Winslow as the attacker. Winslow was arrested on Cottage Grove Road on Feb. 6 shortly after 7 p.m. on a probation hold.

When detectives brought Winslow in for questioning he first denied being downtown on the night of the attack. After detectives showed Winslow photos of him at a bar, he told them "yes, I was" and "I did punch that girl." When the detective asked Winslow why he did, according to the complaint, "he said she said something derogatory to him and it was a build-up of a bunch of things that were going on in his life."

Winslow told investigators he punched the girl on Langdon St. and he dragged her off the sidewalk because he didn't want someone to walk past and see the body laying on the ground. Winslow told investigators he woke up the next morning and said "I really tweeked." When the detective asked Winslow how many times he punched the victim, he said "at least three times." Winslow said he was drunk when he attacked the victim.

According to court documents, the victim suffered a broken jaw. She said doctors told her she needed titanium plates to reconstruct her jaw. The victim said she will have braces and be restricted to a liquid diet for approximately six weeks.

Winslow is scheduled to appear in court for his preliminary hearing on Feb. 26 at 1:30 p.m.