Madison fire investigating code regulations after carbon monoxide scare

(NBC15)
Published: Aug. 8, 2016 at 5:00 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The Madison Fire Department is investigating code regulations after a carbon monoxide scare sent dozens to the hospital.

The evacuation happened at Salon Centinela during a Wedding Saturday night.

A generator was brought inside the venue causing the carbon monoxide levels to increase to dangerous levels, 405 parts per million.

"When you're at 400 parts per million of carbon monoxide, within a 2 to 3 hour period, it can be toxic to the body," Lt. Ron Blumer says.

UW Hospital confirms the incident caused carbon monoxide poisoning to 45 people, sending them to the hospital.

"People have headaches," he explains. "You could end up having fatigue, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, and once you start getting up more, over a prolonged period of time, then that's when you could start having toxic levels where people could die."

Officials say it was a pretty cut and dry situation Saturday night. They found out the cause of the carbon monoxide leak and waited for the levels to go down before they cleared the scene.

Now, they are investigating the code regulations.

"It's up to our code enforcement officers and our fire investigation and inspection bureaus and they will review every call we go on if there's any concerns for compliance, and so they will be in contact with the facility and making sure everything is in compliance with the city," Lt. Blumer says.

Madison's fire protection engineer says their records show that the indoor soccer complex was approved to be used as a banquet hall and the building does have the proper sprinkler and fire alarm systems.

Salon Centinela owners didn't want to talk on camera, but they did tell NBC15 News Sunday that the band did not ask them for permission to bring the generator inside, and they do want their guests to be as safe as possible while attending events there.