Portage officer, another man treated for carbon monoxide poisoning
Police in Portage say carbon monoxide poisoning sent a man and a police officer to the hospital.
Police responded to some townhouses Sunday about 4 p.m. for a report of a 40-year-old man experiencing dizziness and slurring his words.
The man was unresponsive by the time first responders arrived. Authorities say the carbon monoxide alarms the paramedics carry activated.
The officer that helped evacuate the man was affected by the high level of carbon monoxide. Both were taken to the hospital.
There's no word on the condition of the man, but police say the officer was treated the released. Some residents were evacuated for a couple of hours.
Authorities did not say what caused the high level of carbon monoxide.
, some of the warning signs or carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- Dull headache
- Nausea or vomiting
- Shortness of breath
- Blurred vision
- Loss of consciousnes
The hospital also reminds people that carbon monoxide poisoning can be particularly dangerous for people who are intoxicated or are sleeping.