Structure fire in Janesville

Published: Feb. 28, 2018 at 8:51 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

The Janesville Fire Department was dispatched to an apartment complex on N. Main Street around 1:30 p.m. Wednesday Afternoon.

Reports said fire crews showed up to the 7-story apartment complex and found the atrium filled with smoke from the 2nd to the 7th floors. The fire alarm was going off as residents were being evacuated.

The fire started from a pan of oil that was being heated on a stove from a 4th floor apartment and started the stove and cabinets on fire. An open apartment door let the smoke of the fire flow to the atrium.

The occupant of the apartment was able to exit safely and no other injuries were reported.

The fire was put out with a fire extinguisher and fire crews helped with evacuation as well as smoke removal.

The cost of the damage was estimated at $10,000 for structure damage and $10,000 for content loss.