Sun Prairie Stronger: Reflecting and remembering July 10 explosion
It’s been nearly a year since an explosion changed Sun Prairie.
On July 10, 2018, Sun Prairie emergency crews responded to a gas leak at the corner of Main and Bristol Streets at 6:21 p.m. Roughly 40 minutes later, an explosion occurred. Sun Prairie Fire Captain Cory Barr was killed. Another firefighter, Ryan Welch, was critically injured in the explosion.
For Captain Barr’s widow, Abigail, every day is still a battle for her with her grief.
"I at least once a day stop in my tracks and my train of thought and think, why is this my train of thought right now? Why? How did I get here? What just happened," explained Barr.
In December, authorities announced there will be no criminal charges, and the criminal investigation was closed. According to the Sun Prairie Police Department, miscommunication between contractors led to the gas line being hit.
“We’re never going to find out what that spark was that caused the explosion,” said Sun Prairie Police Lt. Kevin Konopacki. “Even in the very in-depth investigation that our investigators did with the State Fire Marshall and the Department of Criminal Investigation, we never found that ‘smoking gun.’”
Several businesses were destroyed in the explosion and dozens of people lost their homes.
A remembrance ceremony is being held at 6:45 p.m. on Wednesday. It will begin at Fire Station 1 (135 N. Bristol Street) and will end with a moment of silence at the site of the explosion, a short distance away.
NBC15 will sharing the stories of Abigail Barr, emergency responders, and the community as they reflect on the explosion a year later on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday at 10 p.m.
Sun Prairie Businesses Remember events of July 10
Many businesses will stay open later on Wednesday. Some will be donating to a special cause. Participating businesses include:
- Cannery Wine Bar and Tasting Room: Donations accepted for the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department. From 7 - 10 p.m, free Point Brewery Session Pale Ale, while the keg lasts.
- Beans 'n Cream Coffeehouse: $1 of each Cinnamon Roll sold will be donated to Sunshine Place.
- Glass Nickel Pizza - Sun Prairie: 25% of pizza sales on July 10 will be donated to the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department.
-Razor Sharp Screen Printing: Special t-shirts available for purchase online and in-store while supplies last. $4 of every purchase will be used to memorialize Capt. Cory Barr.
- Full Mile Beer Company & Kitchen: $1 from the sale of each beer on July 10 will be donated to the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department.
- Eddie's Alehouse & Eatery: $1 from every "Barr Burger" sold will be donated to the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department.
- Salvatore's Tomato Pies - Sun Prairie: 10% of food sales on July 10 will be donated to the Sun Prairie Volunteer Fire Department.
- Faded Roots Boutique: 10% of sales on July 10 will be donated to a college account for Capt. Cory Barr's daughters.
- Meant to Bead: Will have special artist pieces for sale; a portion of the sales will be donated to help the families still struggling from this event and any families in the community that need a helping hand.
- Market Street Diner & Bakery: Will sell "Sun Prairie Strong" cookies.
-Nitty Gritty: Will have food and drink specials
Related Stories1 firefighter killed, several others injured after Sun Prairie explosion
Name released of firefighter killed in Sun Prairie explosion
Organizations uniting to help Sun Prairie after explosion
J.J. Watt donates to fundraiser for firefighter killed responding to Sun Prairie explosion
Heartbreaking photo of fallen firefighter and twin daughters
Procession honors Sun Prairie Fire Capt. Cory Barr
Remembrance set for fallen Sun Prairie firefighter
Verizon confirms Bear Communications performing work before explosion
Sun Prairie police search for people injured in explosion
Procession welcomes home injured Sun Prairie firefighter
Sun Prairie property owners survey property damage
Remembrance for Captain Barr happening Saturday
Bear Communications identifies subcontractor hired to work in Sun Prairie
Community honors Sun Prairie firefighter Capt. Cory Barr
Sun Prairie explosion highlights importance of following evacuation order
Downtown Sun Prairie gets closer to normalcy, investigation still underway
Warrant: Contractor mismarked gas line before deadly blast in Sun Prairie
Family of Capt. Cory Barr to be honored at Badger Football game
Main Street intersection in downtown Sun Prairie now open to traffic
Sun Prairie PD gives update on explosion
Widow of Sun Prairie Fire Capt. killed in July explosion sued over missed payments on business
Sun Prairie Fire Dept. will install Barr memorial statue
1-year remembrance ceremony of Sun Prairie explosion to be held July 10
Hearing addresses complaint against contractor in Sun Prairie Explosion
Abby Barr shares struggle with grief one year after losing husband in explosion
Lessons learned from the Sun Prairie explosion one year later
One year later, Sun Prairie businesses recover after explosion
"They are seeing what we do:" Sun Prairie explosion spurs more people to volunteer
Displaced Sun Prairie resident reflects one year after leaving behind her home
Sun Prairie Stronger: 1 year anniversary of Sun Prairie explosion