2 1/3 cup oats (old-fashioned or quick oats) or 2 ¼ cup oat flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
3 (large) or 4 (small) very ripe bananas
1 tablespoon vanilla
¼ cup applesauce or pumpkin puree
¼ cup pure maple syrup
¼ cup chia seeds
½ cup mini chocolate chips, chopped nuts or combination
Directions1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray or grease an 8x8-inch square baking pan. For neat pieces, cut two pieces of parchment paper and place inside the pan leaving extra to over hang over the sides. Spray the paper and corners of pan.
2. Grind oats in a food processor until fine, like flour. Or use pre-ground oat flour.
3. Combine all dry ingredients (oats thru salt) in a small bowl.
4. In a medium-large bowl, mash the bananas; add the vanilla, applesauce and maple syrup and mix to combine. Stir in chia seeds.
5. Add the dry mixture to the banana mix and mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and/or nuts.
6. Scrape mixture into the prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes. When cool, cut into 9 squares.