Makes 4 servings
1 pound Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
1 cup diced bell peppers (red, green, yellow or orange)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup dark or golden raisins
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
Chopped mango, chopped jalapeño, chopped tomato, chopped fresh cilantro, sliced green onion, shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
DirectionsTotal Recipe Time: 35 to 40 minutes
1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat until hot. Add Ground Beef, bell pepper and onion; cook 8 to 10 minutes, breaking beef into 3/4-inch crumbles and stirring occasionally. Remove drippings.
2. Stir in tomato sauce, water, raisins, ancho chili powder and oregano; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 to 18 minutes or until sauce thickens slightly, stirring occasionally.
3. Evenly divide beef mixture on bottom half of each bun. Garnish with toppings, as desired; close sandwiches.
1. Two teaspoons chili powder and 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper may be substituted for ancho chile powder.
2. Cooking times are for fresh or thoroughly thawed Ground Beef. Ground Beef should be cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF. Color is not a reliable indicator of Ground Beef doneness.
© Cattlemen's Beef Board and National Cattlemen's Beef Association