JOB TITLE: SPORTS ANCHOR/MMJ (WEEKENDS)
WMTV NBC15 in Madison, Wisconsin, is seeking an experienced weekend sports anchor for a full-time position. This person will also report weekdays for WMTV, and will also anchor and report for our 9 p.m. newscast on CW Madison.
The person we hire must be a natural and creative storyteller, who knows how to find the story behind the press releases, play-by-play and game highlights. Our mission is to find and deliver high-impact, compelling and engaging sports content on every platform. You must be as excited about digital as you are about working in the field and being on-air.
Applicants must have the desire to win, initiative, and the ability to reflect on your work and apply feedback. The ideal candidate will also possess versatility, speed and accuracy when it comes to gathering and verifying facts, shooting and editing video, and writing. You must have exceptional reporting skills and live delivery, news judgement and ethics. NBC15 is a multi-platform organization and qualified candidates will excel in traditional television storytelling, as well as digital innovation.
We do it all here. We cover the local high school level, to the Wisconsin Badgers, Milwaukee Bucks and Brewers, and the Green Bay Packers. It’s a great time to be covering sports in the state of Wisconsin and at WMTV.
• Write and post copy daily on all digital platforms as new information is learned. This includes NBC15.com, social media, our news app, OTT and within our television newscasts).
• Execute a daily digital plan tailored to your assignment and long-term projects. This includes posting to social media throughout your shift, identifying opportunities for live streaming on our website and Facebook, getting live and user-generated content to our News Now Desk, and sending “recruit to view” push alerts.
• Understand our DMA, key target audiences and where they live.
• Develop sources within the community to gain unique, “Only On” insight and reports on important and impactful sports stories.
• Pitch original story ideas daily.
• Strong research skills, ability to employ critical thinking skills to dig and go “beyond the press release” and/or confirm incoming news tips via email or social media.
• Work with a sense of immediacy independently and as a team.
• A college degree in journalism or related field. At least two or more years of newsroom experience preferred.
• A strong candidate will have an established and responsible presence on digital platforms, including station website, social media and OTT.
• Understanding of and adherence to AP Style (on digital platforms) and broadcast writing for television.
• Excellent communication skills (written and verbal), proven news judgement, ethics and integrity.
• Strong work ethic, organizational and leadership skills. Must be able to work quickly, make deadlines, multi-task and show composure, especially during breaking news.
• Ability to work long hours/overtime, weekends, and overnights as needed for breaking news and specialized coverage.
• Must be able to carry 35+ pounds of gear, and be experienced in shooting and editing unique content.
TO APPLY: Please apply online at www.gray.tv/applynow. To find our open positions, scroll down and click “Jobs By Location” (Madison, Wis.) or “Jobs By Business” (WMTV). All applications, resumes and cover letters must be received through this platform. Please share on your application where you heard of this opening. No phone calls or agents, please. If necessary, email questions to WMTV HR at firstname.lastname@example.org. Pre-employment background checks and drug screening are a condition of employment. You must possess a valid driver’s license and have a good driving record.
WMTV NBC15 is drug-free workplace and an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in the hiring, training, or promotion of employees by reasons of race, color, religion, sex, marital status, physical or mental handicap, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, national origin, or age. Gray Television, Inc., our parent company, participates in E-Verify.
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. We own and operate leading media outlets in more than 90 markets throughout the country – all delivering the news, weather, sports and entertainment that millions of our neighbors count on every day. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.