Portage garage goes up in flames quickly

By  | 

COLUMBIA COUNTY, Wis. (WMTV)--- A garage fire in Portage causes significant damage to two houses.

Assistant Chief Keith Manthey of the Portage Police Department said around 11:30 a.m. a call came in about a fire on East Howard Street in Portage. When crews arrived on scene, they saw large flames coming out of a detached garage which was close to the home.

Manthey said officers helped the homeowners and pets. One of the homeowners is elderly.

Manthey said there’s no official cause yet, but it’s suspected that a heating element in the garage may have contributed to the fire.

Portage Fire Department along with Pardeeville Fire Department extinguished the fire.