DANE COUNTY, Wis. (WMTV)--- A lightning strike in the Town of Burke damaged a home Friday morning.
According to the Sun Prairie Fire Department, firefighters were sent to the home on the 6000 block of Rattman Road around 9 a.m. When crews arrived, smoke was found inside the home.
The homeowner was home at the time of the lightning strike. He heard a loud bang, went outside, and found lightning hit the backside of his home. Captain Michael Seltzner said there was only smoke damage and some drywall damage to the house. The damage was minimal because the strike was reported immediately.
"The large electrical current that comes from a lightning strike produces so much heat that anything flammable could ignite or smolder in the walls," said Seltzner. "It often goes unnoticed for several hours."
Firefighters used a water extinguisher to cool siding on the home's exterior.
No one was injured.