FITCHBURG, Wis (WMTV) - Construction crews are finishing the new expanded lanes on Verona Road set to open on Monday.
Courtesy: WI Verona Road Project Facebook
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation states crews will work Nov. 8-10 to complete the remaining repairs and shift traffic onto the new lanes under Williamsburg Way and over County PD.
Overhead signs will direct drivers to interchange ramps and access to local roads.
- One lane will be closed along Verona Road southbound from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. Minor delays are anticipated through this area.
- The lane closure on southbound Verona Road will resume at 7 p.m. Friday until 10 a.m. Saturday
- Northbound Verona Road will be reduced to one lane from 8 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Saturday.
- A brief closure of the southbound Verona Road ramp to Williamsburg Way is anticipated between 4 a.m. and 6 a.m. Saturday. Motorists must use alternate routes during this timeframe.
- Starting Saturday morning, three lanes will be open for southbound Verona Road traffic under Williamsburg Way and over County PD
- One lane will be closed on Verona Road northbound from 5 a.m. Sunday to 5 a.m. Monday.
- No ramp closures are anticipated at County PD and Williamsburg Way during these operations.
- By Monday morning, three lanes will be open for northbound Verona Road traffic over County PD and under Williamsburg Way.
“We greatly appreciate the public’s continued patience during the project,” said John Vesperman, WisDOT Verona Road Project Chief. “We also value the ongoing partnership with the Verona Road Business Coalition to keep businesses involved throughout the project. We encourage everyone to travel on the new lanes and visit the local businesses!”
The owner of Chalet Ski and Patio off of Verona Rd., Tony Millonig, said he is happy to see the lanes finally open.
"Now that this is so much bigger and faster and wide open, people will go back to their old habits of travel," he said.
He said, while their business has had to make adjustments, all the road work will be worth it in the long run.
"This is really going to help the overall businesses and help people who live out here to be able to move where they need to go much faster," he said.
In 2020, crews will reconstruct and expand County PD/McKee Road from Fitchrona Road to Commerce Park Drive, including the final configuration for the Verona Road interchange.
The entire Verona Road Project is scheduled to be completed in fall 2020. The project got underway on Feb. 24, 2014.