MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- President Donald Trump's plan to kill or delay hundreds of construction projects on U.S. military bases to help fund border fencing includes diverting money for a Wisconsin Air National Guard base shooting range.
Guard spokesman Joe Trovato confirmed that $8 million earmarked for building a small-arms range at Truax Field in Madison would be diverted to wall funding. Construction had been set to begin next year.
A spokesman for U.S. Rep. Mark Pocan, a Democrat who represents Madison, had no immediate comment. He told reporters Wednesday before the list of targeted projects became public that Trump was stealing from the Department of Defense to pay for the "folly" of a border wall.
In a statement to NBC15, the guard said:
"National Guard Bureau notified the Wisconsin National Guard that approximately $8 million allotted for a small arms weapons range at the 115th Fighter Wing's Truax Field will be diverted for the border wall project. These sorts of decisions are made at a much higher level than the Wisconsin National Guard, and we work within the budget provided to our organization. We will remain ready to fulfill both our state mission as Wisconsin's first military responder, and our federal mission as the primary combat reserve of the Army and Air Force.
Funding for the project was to be awarded in March 2020, and the project was slated to begin construction in fall 2020."