Boy Dies After Playing "Choking Game"

By  | 

13–year–old Kyle McCarthy died Monday after playing something often called ``the choking game''.
Authorities say McCarthy was found unconscious on Sunday after using a cloth rope to choke himself.
Investigators say they're shocked to learn the practice seems to be common knowledge among some youngsters in Appleton schools.
McCarthy's dad, Kelly McCarthy says parents everywhere need to be more informed.
"This is something that is so evident in this area and it's something that can happen so easy without you knowing that this is going on with your kids in your homes."
McCarthy's middle school plans to have faculty members talk to their students about the death and officials are working on prevention measures so it doesn't happen again.