Posted Friday, July 17, 2015 -- 10:00 p.m.
WISCONSIN DELLS, Wis. -- It was an unfortunate situation, when two Milwaukee area high school dance coaches ran into a bed bug problem.
"I kind of noticed 'Oh man I have a lot of mosquito bites',"Katie Madaus said.
But what she actually had were bed bug bites. Madaus was in town for a dance camp.
She says after a quick call to the front desk, an employee assessed the room and confirmed it was infested.
"After we found out we were busy dealing with it away from our team for quite a while, moving our things, getting our things dry cleaned, trying to deal with how we were going to be compensated," Madaus said.
The environmental health manager for the South Central Environment Health Consortium says it received a criminal complaint on this matter on Thursday, when they arrived to inspect the Chula Vista Resort Friday morning, a heat treatment was already being completed.
The environmental manager says the resort did take the appropriate steps to address the issue.
Madaus says the resort agreed to comp the two rooms they booked and said the hotel would take care of any additional expenses.
The coaches hope this story can educate others on their rights when staying away from home, that you can ask for a check-up before staying in a room.
"Just the education from the general public. That we do have rights to consumers to request that they do check for bed bugs," Hotel Guest, Katie Gatlin said.
The environment health manager says this year there have been three complaints for Chula Vista in regards to bed bugs. He says for a resort that large, it is a low number.